Monday, January 13, 2014

How I'd rate... hydration

Hydration.

Hydration is really important to me during marathon training.  I try to increase my daily water intake.  I carry water when ever I run over an hour.  There are many forms of running bottles and carriers.  Just google "running fuel belt" or "running hydration belt" or "pack".

I've seen many runners run carrying a bottle.  Some water battles come with a strap to help you hold the bottle.  I can't run with this type of bottle.  I keep switching hands to balance out the weight.  This is not my style.

Some runners carry a Camelbak on their back.  This is too much water for my runs and feels too heavy to carry.  Plus it gets sweaty on my back.  Also I find it's hard to keep the tube clean, even though it's easy to get access to the water.

I also see many of these types of fuel belts.  The advantage is you can carry both water and electrolyte replacement drinks separately.  I've never tried it.  I think I would try to balance out all the bottles and drink from them alternately, so it seems like too much of a hassle.
This is my favorite style of water bottle carrier.  It's simple and easy to use.  I have an older version of this one, but this style works the best for my needs.  It has a single bottle, angled so it's easy to pull out and drink and return without looking.  It has a zippered section for my keys and an phone if necessary.  I wear it low on my hips so it doesn't bounce too much when the bottle is completely full. After a while I forget I'm wearing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment