Thursday, December 5, 2013

Baby it's cold outside

When is it too cold to run?


I run outside whenever I can, because it supports the number one reason I run: to be outside. 
I’ve learned to dress for all types of weather, mostly by trial and error.  My one weather rule is that I don’t run in lightning or ice storms.  Snow is actually fun running, as long as it’s 1 or 2 inches, or has already been packed down.  Rain is fun too, but not pounding rain.  Anything from a light mist to a normal rain is fine, as long as the temperature is 40 degrees or more.

When is it too cold for me to run?  Probably anything below zero, because it’s just too tough on all systems, muscles, breathing, etc.  I have running combinations of clothes I wear based on temperatures.  Wind also is a big factor.  I have several running routes that I vary based on the direction of the wind.  Wind from the south (usually warmer weather) I run east and west mostly.  Wind from the North (thanks Canada aka  “America’s Top Hat”) I run the routes through neighborhoods that block the wind and skip the wide open routes.

Below 10 degrees is not really fun, especially with wind.  I’ll skip those days when I can.  10 – 20 degrees means running tights, warm socks, 4 core layers, (tight fitting, dry wicking “tri top", long sleeve tech fabric shirt, fleece pullover and a wind blocking nylon layer jacket), hat, warmest gloves and a neck gator.  I’ll post pictures later.

I love Nike running stuff because it lasts and lasts and holds up to repeated washing.  Btw, I never put any running clothes in the dryer.  I always hang dry everything.  I have a place in our laundry room where I can hang my wet stuff after a run and where it also can hang to dry after a wash.

I shop Nike, Pearl Izumi outlet stores for deals on running gear, otherwise the usual sporting goods stores have running wear depts.  Many sports stores will discount running gear from the past season as they head into the next season, i.e. Winter clothes discounted as we head into Spring.  I look for tight fitting winter tops and loose fitting summer tops.  Good stuff costs money, but usually lasts a long time, so I'll spend $70 to $100 on good running tights for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment