Monday, December 9, 2013

Shoe up for your life

Running Shoes.

First I start at a running store.  Somewhere in every major town runners know about shoes. I have purchased running shoes from Fleet Feet in Chicago, Bob Roncker's Running Spot in Cincinnati, Runner's Roost in Denver, Gary Gribble's Running Sports in KC and others.

I take in my current running shoes to show them how they are wearing and try on at least 3 pairs from different manufactures.  I was a little intimidated at first, but I'm the only one who knows what feels good and what doesn't so I pretend I'm the expert about me and let them be the expert about shoes.  I try one shoe on one foot, then try another brand on the other foot.  If possible I run 20 feet or so.  Keep the one that feels best and try another until I have the best pair.

Some shops have a treadmill with a video camera to show me how much I pronate, or roll my foot inward as I stride.  I try not to get too technical and buy what feels the best.  I expect to spend between $80 to $150 for a good pair of running shoes.  Each pair lasts me around 350 to 400 miles or so, which for me is about 6 months.  When my feet start aching or my knees begin to hurt I check to see how long it's been, then go get another pair.

I have run in Nike, Mizuno, Asics and Saucony.  My favorite shoe is the one that feels good on my last run.  Shoe manufacturers change the "last" or form of the shoe, even with shoes that are popular and work well, so I'm prepared to adjust from year to year.  I buy my shoes a little big (I can fit the width of my thumb between the end of my big toe and the end of the shoe), because my feet can expand a little on longer runs.

There are many ways to tie running shoes.  I use the one on page five of this article. How to custom tie your shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment