Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Just can't run today...

Did not run today.  Got home late last night and just could not set the alarm for my normal early running time.  Damn, and it was nice and warm for December, 40 degrees.  Some days are just like that.  I don't sweat it when I have to skip a run day.  I've learned I won't lose my training when I skip a day once in a while.

I heard a story about a American runner training with a Kenyan runner in preparing for the Olympics.  The two runners were headed out for a light workout.  The Kenyan stopped after 200 meters and said "I'm resting today" and headed home.  He knew his body well and realized that was not the day for him and needed to rest instead.

I've learned to move from trusting a training schedule (which is important) to trusting my body and how if feels, along with a schedule (more important).  When I'm really tired, I don't run.  I have learned the difference between "reluctance to run and I'll feel better when I start", and just plain "too tired to run, my body needs a rest".

As James Taylor once said in concert "We're getting ready to take a break now...we think you'll like it...the band and I practiced it...it's tight."

No comments:

Post a Comment